The Balancing Act That Is Vincent

Question and answers, musings and thoughts...

Moderator: jecris27

Zara

Re: The Balancing Act That Is Vincent

Post by Zara »

I'm just going to flat-out state that I hate "The Watcher."

It is one of the four episodes in the series that unforgivably railroads the characters into dark, dire, misogynist plotlines. The other three on my ARGH! list are: "To Reign in Hell", "The Hollow Men", and "Though Lovers Be Lost".

I'd say the reason Vincent's lines in "The Watcher" seem unbalanced is that the "real" (un-railroaded) Vincent would never utter (let alone think) those words. The contrived plot required both Vincent and Catherine to refuse to pursue the course of sanctuary Below, regardless of Tunnels principles, common sense, or basic self-preservation.

It is, in a word, stupid.

It is also utterly out of character for our Beast.

Tuppence,

Zara
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

Zara,

One of these days, you are going to have to come out of your shell and tell me what you think! :lol:

Glad the line seemed out of whack to you too, at least I'm not out to lunch on this one.

Okay, I'll bite. Yes, I agree that Catherine refusing to go Below was a bit contrived. Yet, how was The Watcher to be caught if she literally was not the bait? Yes, it could have been accomplished, hopefully in the daytime, with her nights protected Below. By her absence at night, he would become more irritated, and less careful, and eventually make a play at work, perhaps.

What I liked about this episode is the premise that they were alone in having to deal with this for fear of exposing Vincent. Take him out of the equation, and it was like any other stalker show and the police would be after him, and the question would be, would they catch him in time? But with Vincent, and the possibility of photos, Catherine had to be circumspect.

So, what other misogynist leanings did you glean in this episode or in Though Lovers Be Lost? The Hollow Men can remain in the refuse can, it is truly a horrible episode. To Reign in Hell we have discussed, so for now, I'll limit my questions to the two referenced episodes.

Pat
Zara

Post by Zara »

Since we are seguing into a more Catherine-focused dialogue, I will respond over in The Thing About Catherine thread.

~ Zara
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

It struck me when watching China Moon how methodical and planful Vincent was in defending the Tunnels from the Tong. When face-to-face with the leader, he tried to get the leader to back off; when the leader made it clear he would never stop coming to vanquish them, he then allowed the injured fighter's thrown star to hit the leader. Vincent did not seem remorseful after these killings, and there were quite a few. So why did some killings bother Vincent, and begin the process that Paracelsus was able to inflame for his purposes?

It was suggested during the episode discussion that it was when Vincent fought when enraged that he felt remorse; as if being taken over by his more animalistic nature, he felt lost and perhaps feared losing himself to that baser nature. So when was he enraged? When Catherine was in peril. He might have been more methodical in The Outsiders, like with the Tong, had it not been for Catherine coming down and being taken by the Outsiders. When Snow came down in Season Three, he was methodical there. Of course, Catherine was gone then. But Vincent did not seem enraged.

So the thought occurred, in terms of the balancing act that is Vincent, that the very thing that brought him the greatest joy in his life, Catherine's love, also created the means for his potential destruction, or at least his collapse. He values her love for him, and his for her, but his need to protect her creates the potential to tap into his baser nature, the beast, which unbalances the careful construction he has created for himself.

Coupled with Catherine's zealousness in transforming herself and facing her fears, which often translates into risky behavior and thus requiring Vincent's protection, Vincent created quite the dilemma for himself when he first found her. He enabled her to begin her path to recreating herself in a better way, which leads to behaviors that often call for his protection, which causes him to engage himself in a way of being that unbalances his psyche.

So, is this a long way of saying, 'be careful what you wish for Vincent?'

Thoughts?

Pat

Return to “WHAT DO YOU THINK?”