Motes for Inspiration

Moderator: jecris27

Zara

Re: Motes for Inspiration

Post by Zara »

Zara

Post by Zara »

"Dare to Disturb the Universe: Madeleine L’Engle on Creativity, Censorship, Writing, and the Duty of Children’s Books" by Maria Popova

Download complete PDF text of Madeleine L'Engle's Dare to be Creative! A Lecture Presented at the Library of Congress (Washington, DC, November 16, 1983) at the Institute of Education Sciences ERIC website.
Zara

Post by Zara »

Remember the flavor of the times...

Zara

Post by Zara »

The clip at 3:08 should look especially familiar...
Zara

Post by Zara »

Zara

Post by Zara »

Popular music from 1989...
Zara

Post by Zara »

Zara

Post by Zara »

To say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has become a cheap and easy way to avoid thinking about the deeper realities of beauty and ugliness in our lives and in our world. Here is a proffered dive into deeper waters...

"La bella vita", by John Armstrong

and...

The text Armstrong discusses: Letters upon the Æsthetic Education of Man, by J. C. Friedrich von Schiller (1795).

"For Schiller, true beauty is whatever speaks powerfully to both sides of our nature at the same time. When we find something beautiful, we are called towards a vision of harmonious perfection. This is not only a quality in the object, but a longing in ourselves." - John Armstrong
Zara

Post by Zara »

A basic introduction to the Viele Map from The New York Times ...

And: the Viele Map of Manhattan online.
Zara

Post by Zara »

Zara

Post by Zara »

Dance is a universal language.

http://youtu.be/UTrb6i7gJAk
Zara

Post by Zara »

Artistic temperament is not a choice...And it means being aware, from the time one discovers that other people exist, that other people do not see things as one does. Sometimes it seems that other people all see things alike, and that however everyone else sees things it is not as one does. It startles the young artist at first--the first few times he is told walls are not for drawing on, that mashed potatoes are not clay, that horses are not blue. In time he realizes, Oh, I'm on my own with this. My visions can't be shared or discussed in mixed company. And if I try to talk about them, someone might laugh or shake her head uncomprehendingly or try to make me stop.

Someone might hurt me.

With that epiphany comes the shock of realizing that there is an inside and an outside, and the artist is outside. Not by will. By blood. By a force beyond understanding, no more mutable than the fact that one breathes. A shock. The knowledge that one is alone in the world. Alone in mind, in mission if not in flesh. All alone, neither able to answer to any boss besides oneself nor willing. Forever alone, a thrill and and awesome responsibility. And life from then on is a party of one.

~ Anneli Rufus, Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto
Zara

Post by Zara »

The New Yorker sums up summertime (featuring a selection of magazine covers from 1959-2007).
Zara

Post by Zara »

Del Toro ponders a veeeeery interesting trend in our mythical relationship with "angels of the night" creatures. Having puzzled over the de-fanging of the beasts myself, and the accompanying normalization of epic/gothic romance, I like the way Del Toro describes the current situation of Story in our culture.

http://youtu.be/w9fcHMEHqQ4

Return to “Kaleidoscope”