GBTC transcription

Moderator: jecris27

Site Admin

GBTC transcription

Post by 222333 »

Just a quick note to tell you I am transcribing God Bless the Child. My computer is undergoing maintenance today, which takes the whole blooming day, so while I am monitoring it, I decided to try my hand at transcribing. So I picked God Bless the Child.

Fifteen minutes in so far!

Pat
Very good!

S
Zara

Re: GBTC transcription

Post by Zara »

Taking the initiative to relocate from This and That...
Pat wrote:PS. Again, I don't have permission to read/post to God Bless the Child. I finished transcribing. Do you have a script pdf to send me? Also, in general ( and I can post this again in the forum when the permission gets fixed for others to read) how much description do you want about how they look, in terms of feelings or expressions, for example "Catherine looks wistfully toward Vincent" when there was no writer directions telling the actor to 'look wistfully in Vincent's direction.'?

The reason I ask is I am sensitive to putting my interpretation to a scene I watch versus a reporting of the action. Sometimes, it can be more obvious what expression an actor is conveying, and other times, maybe not so much.

Please counsel, oh ObiWan! :D
S wrote:*
ARGH!

Permissions fixed. Please post again there and I'll reply there.

grumble grumble...

S
My advice? Use more nouns and verbs than adjectives or adverbs to describe the characters actions, gestures, tone of voice, and body language. And identify only what emotions can be deduced from actions, gestures, tone of voice, and body language. Use only one or two emotive words per descriptive statement, the very best words that describe what you perceive. It can help to (a) turn off the sound and transcribe only what you can see, and then (b) turn off or look away from the monitor to transcribe only what you can hear. Every transcript is interpretive. To keep it more neutral than not, go easy on the adverbs, using them only for emphasis to explain what may not be apparent in the bare text alone. I suspect this may be part of why transcribers and editors do different work on the transcripts, aside from personal preference. Fresh minds that are attentive to detail during editing clean up the overly interpretive language and (hopefully) balance bias between transcriber, editor, and web publisher.

"Catherine looks in Vincent's direction." This is the most neutral.

"Catherine's gaze is wistful as she looks at Vincent." This adds the interpreted emotional tone to a description of Catherine's active sightline.

To piggyback onto another current discussion, you could check out "Remember Love" to see how that transcript got structured. Disclosure, LOL: yup, I edited that one. I let some of the transcriber's insights stand, and I changed, added, or deleted other portions.

Two cents,

Zara
Zara

Post by Zara »

P.S. This is, of course, me not having seen any of your work, Pat, nor do I wish to speak for Sobi and her fabulous online project. Just offering general suggestions...

A touch hindsighted,

Zara
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

Much appreciated. I actually have been following your advice pretty well along. Like I said, I'm not wanting to put my perspective on something so personally interpreted. :D

Pat
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

Sobi,

Do you have an earlier version script for this episode? Is so, I'll begin melding the transcript I made with the script version, and then adjust it as needed, etc. Otherwise, I'll do my own scene setup descriptions.

Pat
Site Admin

Post by 222333 »

I prefer you do your own scene setup description, as it helps to "see" what's filmed versus what was the writer's idea.

Thanks!
S
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

Okay, I'll give that a try this time. I,ve had a disaster befall on my software so it will be a while.

Pat
Site Admin

Post by 222333 »

very good... and very sorry for whatever happened to your software!
Good luck.

S

Return to “God Bless the Child”