What is the risk?

Question and answers, musings and thoughts...

Moderator: jecris27

Maclurv

What is the risk?

Post by Maclurv »

From A Happy Life, when Catherine runs from the recital to see Vincent and says, "..I wanted you there with me so badly. It became unbearable to me. Almost physical painful. I just had to run. I actually ran from it. Vincent, what are we going to do? We have to do something before there's nothing left for either of us." And Vincent replies: "This was the risk we faced."

My question is, what is this risk? What did Vincent mean by this?
Zara

Re: What is the risk?

Post by Zara »

In my first consideration of your question, I am looking back toward "A Children's Story," and forward to "What Rough Beast."

In Episode #2 (Production Order) we have this exchange:

VINCENT
When I see you Catherine, I’m filled with a happiness sweeter than anything I’ve ever known…and at the same time I am reminded of a life that can never be…and I feel great pain.

CATHERINE
I know. So do I. Vincent…what will we do?

VINCENT
The only thing we can do: we’ll endure the pain and savor every moment of the joy.

In Episode #42 the issue of their risk comes up again under new circumstances:

VINCENT: What you said was true, Catherine. It must end now. We must end. They know everything.
CATHERINE: No.
VINCENT: This man will never stop. Elliot. He'll never stop. They will hunt me 'til they find me, or until I'm dead.
CATHERINE: Then I'll come with you.
VINCENT: It's no life for you.
CATHERINE: Or for you.
VINCENT: But it is my life.
CATHERINE: [wordless sobs] I don't know what to do.
VINCENT: We must face what we both feared might come to pass from the beginning.
CATHERINE: Vincent.
VINCENT: It is all we can do. Remember our love. Let it guide you, give you courage. Know that what we had can never be taken away from us.

I think the risk they keep facing and enduring is the agony of separation after deepening their attachment of love to each other. The more they love, the greater the eventual anguish when the distance between their worlds forces them apart. They have embarked upon a journey which gives them no guarantee that they will be able to stay together on the road, for Catherine's world is lethal to Vincent, and Vincent's world is stifling to Catherine's full potential in life. In daring to love each other, they are fighting gravitational forces. They both ultimately decide that the risk of suffering the end of their relationship is worth it, but they also know that the price they pay for their love is very high. It makes all that they have shared all the more precious to them.

~ Zara
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

I think the risk they keep facing and enduring is the agony of separation after deepening their attachment of love to each other.
I think this is true. In terms of dialogue, I would add this from Orphans:

Catherine: Do you think that someday… will we ever be together, truly together?

Vincent: Only if and when we understand how great the sacrifice and how large the fears and are able to move through them.

Catherine: I’m not scared.

Vincent: Catherine, we are something that has never been. And our journey is one that none has ever taken. We are just now setting out. We must go with courage and we must go with care.

I would add to the risk of separation:

- the risk of danger to one another. By this, I am speaking not of Vincent hurting Catherine physically, but of each of them being discovered, and unintentionally causing hurt to the other. And of course, discovery would likely lead to separation.

- personal risks in a fear that either (likely more Catherine) would not be able to love enough to get past the fears and sacrifices that their relationship requires.

- the risk of unfulfillment, that they will never be able to be together, and that all the struggle and all the sacrifice never has the hoped for outcome.

Just some other thoughts.

Pat
Zara

Post by Zara »

Another risk to add to your excellent list, Pat...

The risk of Catherine's contracting the stigma that has disabled Vincent in her world, whether through discovery or ongoing secrecy (via too great a withdrawal from her life Above). Her nightmare in "Ceremony of Innocence" sums up the nature of this danger.

~ Zara
Maclurv

Post by Maclurv »

Having just read an interview with Ron P about the show early on, he mentioned how this is a story about true love.

So that got me to thinking that perhaps another risk they face is the risk of finding out that what they thought was true love turned out to be less than true love, and therefore not likely to withstand the pressures their unique relationship faced. So their expectations are dashed, their hopes and dreams seem further away than before, and they both must continue their search for their happiness alone.

But really, if anyone had found true love, it was these two characters! :D

Pat

Return to “WHAT DO YOU THINK?”